Employers of International Agricultural Workers

Worker Accommodations

International agricultural workers (IAWs), also known as migrant farm workers or temporary foreign workers, are considered essential workers that come to Ontario to work in the agricultural and related sectors. Housing accommodations for IAWs must be inspected by Public Health. Owners/operators are advised to consult the Ontario Housing Guidelines prior to requesting an inspection:

  • Ontario Housing Guidelines
  • Additionally, note that local requirements to ensure that all beds in worker accommodations must be spaced by at least 2 metres remains in place, and that bunk beds will not be approved.
All IAW housing accommodations must comply with all local building, fire and zoning requirements. It is strongly recommended that owners/operators providing housing to IAWs consult with their local municipality, including the building department and fire department, in advance to ensure permits can be obtained and requirements met before requesting an inspection from Public Health.

Providing housing for the first time (or in new accommodations):

Every owner/operator who intends to provide housing for IAWs for the first time or in a new accommodation is advised to reach out to Public Health as early as possible in the planning process. After consulting with Public Health and local municipal departments, and once accommodations are ready for inspection, owners/operators are advised to notify Public Health no later than six weeks prior to the preferred inspection date.

To notify Public Health about new or planned accommodations, please complete and submit the Notice of Intent to Operate New Housing for International Agricultural Workers Housing Form (click here).

Existing housing accommodations:

For existing housing accommodations, owners/operators are advised to contact Public Health a minimum of four weeks prior to the preferred inspection date. To notify Public Health, please email PHI.Intake@wdgpublichealth.ca.

Province of Ontario Resources

International agricultural workers in congregate living settings continue to be eligible for free COVID-19 PCR testing at clinical assessment and testing centres.

Government of Canada Resources

Other Resources and Posters

Local Vaccine Information

For general COVID-19 information, please visit our COVID-19 page.