Food Safety Training & Certification

Please be advised, that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Food Handler exams and courses at all of our offices are cancelled for the remainder of the year. Please see below for alternatives on how to obtain the Food Safety Training Certification. If you have any questions or for more information please contact us at 1-800-265-7293 or 519-822-2715 ext. 4753.

Handling food safely is important to help reduce the risk of becoming sick after eating and drinking. Anyone who prepares food can benefit from food safety training. As of July 1, 2018, the Ontario Food Premises Regulation 493/17 requires that at least one supervisor or food handler on-site in a food service premises have a valid food handler certificate at all times.  In order to successfully obtain the food handler certificate, you must score at least 70% on the certification exam. Once issued, food handler certificates are valid across Ontario for five years.

To obtain your Food Safety Training Certification for the first time or to re-certify you can:

  • Register to attend an online course with remote instructor and take the exam online
  • Sign up for self-directed online course and take the exam online
  • Read the course manual at home on your own and register for the online food handler exam

Food Safety Training Exam

In order to obtain the Food Safety Training Certification, you must write the exam.

Read the course manual at home

Our Food Handler Certification manual is available:

  •  For purchase and pick-up at our Guelph, Fergus or Orangeville offices. The cost of the manual is $10
  •  For free on our website in PDF format, available here (PDF, 75 pages, 2.7 MB)

Food Safety Training Course

Live Remote Learning Course with Instructor

The Food Safety Training course is administered online through Conestoga College. Students will write the exam online as part of the live remote learning course.

Online Course (Self-instructed)

The following online courses all offer quality training in preparation to write the food handler exam. Please note that it is only necessary to complete one course of your choice.

Here is the complete list of Food Safety Certification programs approved as equivalent courses by the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Long-Term Care.