Client and Community Support

Call 1-800-265-7293 ext. 7006, M-F, 9 am - 4 pm (closed holidays) or email us.

Please note: This service is not for medical advice or emergencies.

  • For non-emergency medical advice, Health811 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by dialing 8-1-1.
  • For medical emergencies, call 9-1-1 immediately or visit the closest hospital emergency room.

What kind of support can I get when I call?

You can speak to a public health nurse for health- and non-health-related questions, for confidential advice, help accessing programs and services, to get information about community supports and resources and more. Some common topics include:

Who should contact us?

Residents of Wellington County, Dufferin County and the City of Guelph can call to speak to a public health nurse. We can also answer questions from healthcare providers, congregate settings, community partners, businesses, schools, dental care providers, child care providers and other community settings and providers.

Can I ask questions anonymously?

Yes, you can choose to remain anonymous when calling if you prefer. If using email or social media to contact us, the name used on the platform will be visible to us.

Can I call after hours?

Yes. If you call after hours, please leave a message and your call will be returned the next business day. We also aim to respond to after-hours emails and social media messages within one business day.