Meeting date: September 5, 2018
Prepared by: Janice Walters, Manager, Control of Infectious Diseases; Jessica Morris, Manager, Rabies Program
Report no.: BH.01.SEP0518.C15
Approved by: Christopher Beveridge, Director, Health Protection
Submitted by: Dr. Nicola J. Mercer, MD, MBA, MPH, FRCPC, Medical Officer of Health and CEO
- Health Protection programs conduct annual inspections and disease follow-up.
- All compliance and complaint inspection reports are publically available on the Check Before You Choose website.
Strategic Directions & Goals
Service Centred Approach - We are committed to providing excellent service to anyone interacting with public health.
Building Healthy Communities - We will work with communities to support the health and well-being of everyone.
Operational Plan Objectives
- WDGPH will complete 100% annual compliance inspections.
- WDGPH will publicly disclose results of inspections (compliance and complaint).
- WDGPH will investigate complaints related to an inspected facility.
- WDGPH will mitigate health hazards and disease transmission based on risk.
Summary of OPHS Program Requirements
- To prevent or reduce the burden of infectious diseases of public health importance.
- Disease Prevention/Health Protection
- To improve health and quality of life
- Reduced morbidity and mortality
Accountability Indicators - Performance variance identified:
|2018 Control of Infectious Diseases Performance Indicator||2018 Mid-Year Actual||Comment|
|# and type of IPAC lapse by sector (PSS, dental office, community laboratories or independent health facility)||3||1 Dental; 2 OB/GYN|
|# and rate per 100,000 of new active TB infections annually||4||One case moved to Toronto after treatment started|
|# of cases of acquired drug-resistance of active TB cases||0||None reported|
|# of cases of identified LTBI that are initiating prophylaxis and/or the number completing treatment||25|
|# of potential rabies exposures investigated annually||365|
|# of animals investigated with current rabies vaccination||155||42% of animals investigated vaccinated for rabies|
|# of persons given rabies post-exposure prophylaxis||22||6% of investigation led to the PEP administration|
- Rabies (Jan-Jun 2016) Program/Service Information Report
- BH.01.NOV0216.R19 Local and Provincial Raccoon Rabies Management Update
- BH.01.DEC0716.R21 Enactment of Legislation to Enforce Infection Prevention and Control Practices within Personal Service Settings under the HPPA
- BH.01.DEC0716.R22 Infection Control in Clinical Office Settings: A Regulated Health Professional Workshop
- BH.01.MAR0117.R08 Infection Prevention and Control Complaint
- BH.01.SEP0617.R23 Infection Control Lapse Dental Patient Recall