The Board of Health of Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health Unit met at 4:00 p.m. at the GUELPH Office.
Members in attendance were: Mr. George Bridge (Chair), Mr. Allan Alls, Ms. Christine Billings, Mr. Guy Gardhouse, Mr. Rodrigo Goller, Ms. June Hofland, Ms. Nancy MacDonald, Mr. Ralph Manktelow, Mr. Lambert Otten and Mr. Chris White.
Member(s) with regrets: NONE.
Ex-officio member(s) in attendance: Dr. Mercer, Medical Officer of Health & CEO.
Staff members in attendance were: Mr. Chris Beveridge, Ms. Rita Isley, Mr. David Kingma, Ms. Andrea Roberts, Dr. Matthew Tenenbaum (Associate Medical Officer of Health), Mr. Kyle Wilson, Mr. Rob Cunnington, Mr. Chuck Ferguson, Ms. Karen Mulvey, Ms. Jennifer MacLeod, Ms. Marlene Jantzi-Bauman, Mr. Emerson Rajaram, Ms. Janice Walters, Mr. Michael Whyte and Ms. Sylvia Muir (Recording Secretary).
Guests in attendance were: Two (2) private citizens.
1.0 Call to Order
- G. Bridge, Chair, called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
2.0 Disclosure(s) of Pecuniary Interest
- There are no disclosures of pecuniary interest declared at this time.
3.0 Approval of Minutes
- MOTION: “To approve the Minutes of May 1, 2019, as presented.”
- Moved: L. Otten, Seconded: A. Alls, CARRIED
4.0 MOH Updates
- Dr. Mercer spoke to the June 2019 Edition of Cannabis Facts entitled “Using Cannabis with Alcohol and Tobacco: A Risky Combination” as follows: (1) The risks of using cannabis and alcohol together; (2) The risks of using cannabis and tobacco together; and (3) Actions that WDGPH is taking.
System Transformation (Update)
- WDGPH is still awaiting its budget.
- The alPHa conference is taking place on June 9-11, 2019, in Kingston.
- MOHLTC consultation is planned to take place over the summer regarding informing the legislation.
MaRS Opioid Data Challenge: The FAST Reporting System
M. Whyte, Health Promotion Specialist, commenced his PP Presentation:
- The FAST Reporting System is WDGPH’s submission for the national challenge. It consists of a simple on-line survey that anyone can access. It is a very responsive system that collects information in real time. Once information is entered, WDGPH is alerted. Information is shared regularly to community partners. The System provides a better understanding of patterns of substance abuse within communities allowing for real time communications with our community partners.
- MaRS Challenge Phase 2 – up to two (2) finalists will receive national recognition and a $50,000 prize. Winners to be announced on June 27, 2019.
6.0 Business Arising
7.0 Consent Agenda
- BH.01.JUN0519.C12 – Preschool Speech and Language – Program/Service Information Report.
- MOTION: (a) “That the Board of Health receive the Consent Agenda item(s), which has been given due consideration, for information.”
- Moved: C. Billings, Seconded: J. Hofland, CARRIED
8.0 BOH Report(s)
BH.01.JUN0519.R14 – Immunization for Children in Schools and Licensed Child Care Settings
- Dr. Mercer introduced Report BH.01.JUN0519.R14 and M. Jantzi-Bauman spoke to the content. New this year, WDGPH implemented Immunization Connect Ontario Network (ICON) where parents can log on to view their children’s records.
- MOTION: (a) “That the Board of Health receive BOH Report BH.01.JUN0519.R14 – Immunization for Children in Schools and Licensed Child Care Settings, as presented, for information.”
- Moved: J. Hofland, Seconded: A. Alls, CARRIED
9.0 Committee (Verbal) Report(s)
Executive Committee Report:
Finance + Facilities Committee Report:
Human Resources Committee Report:
Audit Committee Report:
C. Billings, Chair, provided an update advising that the Audit Committee met on June 5/19 to review/discuss the following matter(s):
BH.02.JUN0519.R02 – WDGPH Risk Management
- Risk Register is reviewed annually by the Senior Leadership Team to evaluate and rate new and existing risks facing the organization.
BH.02.JUN0519.R03 – Cyber Risk
- Cyber risk and cyber crime are the number one risk for any agency today and information security is the responsibility of the entire organization.
Motion(s) passed at the Jun 5/19 BOH Meeting:
- (a) MOTION: “That the Board of Health accepts the recommendation of the Audit Committee and receives BH.02.JUN0519.R02 – WDGPH Risk Management, as presented, for information.”
- Moved: C. Billings, Seconded: C. White, CARRIED
- (a) MOTION: “That the Board of Health accepts the recommendation of the Audit Committee and receives BH.02.JUN0519.R03 – Cyber Risk, as presented, for information.”
- Moved: C. Billings, Seconded: C. White, CARRIED
- Nando Iannicca, Regional Chair and CEO, Regional Municipality of Peel Letter regarding Public Health Vision-Screening in Peel Schools.
- Christopher Raynor, Regional Clerk, York Region Letter Protecting York Region’s School Children Through Immunization.
- MOTION: (a) “That the Board of Health receive the above-noted Correspondence, as presented, for information.”
- Moved: A. Alls, Seconded: G. Gardhouse, CARRIED
11.0 CLOSED SESSION
- To approve the May 1, 2019 Closed Session BOH Minutes.
- Closed Session BOH Report BH.01.JUN0519.R15 – Facilities Financing [personal matters about an identifiable individual, including BOH employees].
- MOH Update(s) [personal matters about an identifiable individual, including BOH employees].
- MOTION: “To move into Closed Session to approve Closed Session BOH Minutes of May 1, 2019; to review Closed Session BOH Report BH.01.JUN0519.R15 – Facilities Financing [personal matters about an identifiable individual, including BOH employees]; and to obtain/discuss MOH Update(s) [personal matters about an identifiable individual, including BOH employees].”
- Moved: C. Billings, Seconded: A. Alls, CARRIED