From the minute the alarm goes off Monday morning, many of us are go-go-go. Whether it’s making breakfast, taking the kids to soccer or baseball, handling a hectic workday, hosting visitors, or simply trying to throw together something brilliant for dinner, there is no denying that life is busy.
No matter how hectic life can get, it’s important to take the time to care for yourself, because if you don’t, you may find yourself unable to take care of others. One of the most important aspects of staying healthy is being physically active, but let’s face it, finding the 2 ½ hours of moderate activity a week recommended by experts can be a challenge. That’s why we wanted to share some simple ways to sneak physical activity into your busy schedule whether you are at home or at work:
- Relaxing by the TV? Trying doing simple exercises like push-ups, running in place or tricep dips during commercials.
- Out in the yard? Mow the lawn with a push mower, prune the bushes or weed the garden.
- Going to the park with the kids? Embrace your inner child again and participate too! Go down the slide, or swing away on the swing set.
- Take the dog for a walk.
- Talking on the phone? Walk around while you chat away.
- Live close to work? Try actively commuting to work by walking, biking or rollerblading.
- Have meetings scheduled? Suggest a walking meeting instead.
- Too many emails? Go speak to a coworker in person instead of hopping on the phone or sending an email.
- Go the extra distance – choose the washroom furthest from your desk, or refill your coffee by going to another floor.
- Going up? Take the stairs instead of the elevator while at the office.
What other ways to you sneak activity into your day? Tell us below!