IMPORTANT: Contact your healthcare provider or Telehealth at 1-866-797-0000 today if:
- Your baby is very sleepy and hard to wake for feedings.
- Your baby is crying and will not settle after feedings.
- Your baby does not have enough wet and dirty diapers.
- You have a concern or feel that something is not right with your baby.
- Your nipples are sore and are not getting better.
- You have a fever, chills, flu-like symptoms, or a red and painful area on your breast.
- You feel overwhelmed or not able to cope.
Free breastfeeding support is also available from:
- Your midwife or doctor
- Health Connect Ontario: Get breastfeeding advice and referrals 24 hours a day, seven days a week by visiting Health811 online or calling 811 or TTY: 1-866-797-0007. Callers will be connected to an RN who can answer BF questions. RN may refer to a lactation consultant who is available 24/7. Once the RN makes the referral, the lactation consultant will call back within 30 minutes or can schedule a time for them to call back.
Free breastfeeding supports in Wellington County and how to participate
Upper Grand Family Health Team
Infant Feeding Drop-In: Breasts & Bottles, EarlyON Centre, Melville United Church, 300 St. Andrew St. West, Fergus:
Peer-to-peer infant feeding support, and encouragement for pregnant, breastfeeding and bottle feeding parents. A trained facilitator is available to provide information and assistance.
- Drop-in Thursdays from 1:00–2:00 p.m. (Check the Upper Grand Family Health Team website for exact dates offered)
- Call 519-843-3947 for more information or visit Upper Grand Family Health Team Infant Feeding: Breasts and Bottles or the EarlyON Child and Family Centre.
Guelph Community Health Centre
Guelph CHC We Breastfeed and Chestfeed program Telephone Support
Trained volunteers who have breastfed offer telephone support in different languages. Visit @WEBreastfeed on Facebook for more information.
- Monday to Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Call 519-803-2667 or email email@example.com to be matched with a volunteer.
La Leche League
The La Leche League Canada website has over 100 resources to support families from pregnancy to weaning. There are resources on Establishing Your Milk Supply, How to Know Your Baby is Getting Enough Milk, Positioning and Latching and more.
Accredited La Leche League Leaders provide mother-to-mother breastfeeding information, encouragement and support for all stages of your journey. Phone support, email support, as well as in-person and virtual meetings are available.
Local groups – Contact for support and meeting locations:
The Tiny Human Company
The Tiny Human Company offers personalized infant feeding support in Guelph, Cambridge, Rockwood, Fergus, Brantford, and surrounding areas provided by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). They offer services in-home, clinic and virtually. The clinic locations are in Guelph.
They also offer OHIP-covered services (initial consultations and follow-up visits) at the Westminister Woods location – a referral is required to be completed by your family doctor or midwife. For more information, please visit The Tiny Human Company website or call Lindsay Pravato at 905-928-3791.
Additional free breastfeeding supports & information
Specialty Pediatric and Lactation Clinic
Contact your doctor or midwife for a referral to Pediatrician Dr. Mantynen. Located in the Zehrs Superstore at 200 Franklin Blvd, Cambridge, 519-620-3600.
Bilingual Online Ontario Breastfeeding Services
Search for breastfeeding services across Ontario at ontariobreastfeeds.ca
Go to MotherToBaby for information on the risk and safety of medications, alcohol, herbal products, chemicals, X-rays, infections, and chronic conditions (e.g., nausea & vomiting of pregnancy, asthma, diabetes, depression) during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Best Start Resource Centre
Best Start offers a wide range of parenting and breastfeeding resources.
Fee-for-service breastfeeding services
We post the lists of private lactation consultants and doulas as a courtesy for clients. Private providers must contact us to be included on the list. We do not endorse private providers listed on this site.
- International Breastfeeding Centre/Newman Breastfeeding Clinic (Toronto). Call 416-498-0002 or visit their website to book an appointment. Breastfeeding videos and information sheets are also available on their website.
- Cecily Heslett, IBCLC, Private Lactation Consultant in Fergus and Elora. Call 519-993-7517, visit the website or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Robin Berger RN, IBCLC, Private Lactation Consultant. Call 519-928-5416 or find her on Facebook at Robin Berger - Breastfeeding & Parenting Support
- Visit the International Lactation Consultant Association to find a board-certified lactation consultant in your area.
- Donna Legge-Nevett, Occupational Therapist, Kids Can Shine. Call 519-820-4113 or email email@example.com.
- Find a doula at the Association of Ontario Doulas or contact regional representative Dawn Humphrey at 519-993-7103 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Breast Pump Rentals – Medela:
- Suelaine Poot -519-343-3745,9455 Road 146, RR #2, Palmerston. Available weekdays, evenings, weekends and holidays.
- The Prescription Shoppe - 261 Main St. W, Palmerston, 519-343-3912
- The Elora Apothecary, Pharmasave - 115 Geddes St., Unit B, Elora, 226-369-0312
- Robin Berger- Grand Valley, 519-928-5416 or visit Robin Berger - Breastfeeding & Parenting Support on Facebook.
- Norfolk Pharmacy - 85 Norfolk St, Guelph, 519-837-9141