This page lists many of the breastfeeding supports in Guelph. You can also call us at 1-800-265-7293 ext. 7006 from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
IMPORTANT: Contact your healthcare provider or Health Connect Ontario-Health811 at 1-866-797-0000 today if:
- Your baby is very sleepy and hard to wake for feedings.
- Your baby is crying and will not settle after feedings.
- Your baby does not have enough wet and dirty diapers.
- You have a concern or feel that something is not right with your baby.
- Your nipples are sore and are not getting better.
- You have a fever, chills, flu-like symptoms, or a red and painful area on your breast.
- You feel overwhelmed or not able to cope.
Free breastfeeding support is also available from:
- Your midwife or doctor
- Health Connect Ontario: Get breastfeeding advice and referrals 24 hours a day, seven days a week by visiting Health811 online or calling 811 or TTY: 1-866-797-0007. Callers will be connected to an RN who can answer BF questions. RN may refer to a lactation consultant who is available 24/7. Once the RN makes the referral, the lactation consultant will call back within 30 minutes or can schedule a time for them to call back.
Free breastfeeding supports in Guelph and how to participate
Guelph CHC We Breastfeed and Chestfeed program
We Breastfeed and Chestfeed is a peer-led program for pregnant people and parents looking for support for infant feeding. Come to this in-person, weekly drop- in with your breastfeeding questions or challenges and get support from trained peers. Caregivers, support people, and older children are welcome!
They offer weekly drop in infant feeding cafés that include:
- Snacks, product samples, and child engaging volunteers
- Special workshop topics like babywearing, massage, and introducing solid foods
- Family friendly social space, where partners, friends, siblings and other support people are welcome.
- No pre-registration required
- Pregnant people are encouraged to attend
Tuesdays, 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Stone Road Mall EarlyON, Meridian Room
Can’t make it to café or prefer individual support? Call 519-803-2667 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
La Leche League
The La Leche League Canada website has over 100 resources to support families from pregnancy to weaning. There are resources on Establishing Your Milk Supply, How to Know Your Baby is Getting Enough Milk, Positioning and Latching and more.
Accredited La Leche League Leaders provide mother-to-mother breastfeeding information, encouragement and support for all stages of your journey. Phone support, email support, as well as in-person and virtual meetings are available.
Local groups – Contact for support and meeting locations:
The Tiny Human Company
The Tiny Human Company offers personalized infant feeding support in Guelph, Cambridge, Rockwood, Fergus, Brantford, and surrounding areas provided by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). They offer services in-home, clinic and virtually. The clinic locations are in Guelph.
They also offer OHIP-covered services (initial consultations and follow-up visits) at the Westminister Woods location – a referral is required to be completed by your family doctor or midwife. For more information, please visit The Tiny Human Company website or call Lindsay Pravato at 905-928-3791.
Additional free breastfeeding supports & information
Specialty Pediatric and Lactation Clinic
Contact your doctor or midwife for a referral to Pediatrician Dr. Mantynen. Located in the Zehrs Superstore at 200 Franklin Blvd., Cambridge, 519-620-3600.
Go to MotherToBaby for information on the risk and safety of medications, alcohol, herbal products, chemicals, X-rays, infections, and chronic conditions (e.g., nausea & vomiting of pregnancy, asthma, diabetes, depression) during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Bilingual Online Ontario Breastfeeding Services
Search for breastfeeding services across Ontario at ontariobreastfeeds.ca
Best Start Resource Centre
Best Start offers a wide range of parenting and breastfeeding resources.
Fee-for-service breastfeeding supports
We post the lists of private lactation consultants and doulas as a courtesy for clients. Private providers must contact us to be included on the list. We do not endorse private providers listed on this site.
- International Breastfeeding Centre/Newman Breastfeeding Clinic (Toronto). Call 416-498-0002 or visit their website to book an appointment. Breastfeeding videos and information sheets are also available on their website.
- Visit the International Lactation Consultant Association to find a board-certified lactation consultant in your area.
- Find a doula at the Association of Ontario Doulas or contact regional representative Dawn Humphrey at 519-993-7103 or email@example.com.
- Lactation Consultant: Lindsay Pravato, IBCLC. Call 905-928-3791 or visit facebook.com/feeding.support
- Ten Little Toes: Lactation Consultant, Samantha (RN, IBCLC). Virtual or in-person support. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us on Instagram.