Immunizations Required for School Attendance

Due to COVID response, appointments are suspended until further notice. Please contact your primary care provider or make an appointment at a walk-in clinic if possible. Check back later for updates on when this service will resume.

Public Health assesses and provides immunizations to ensure school-aged children meet the requirements under the Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA). 

Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA)

In Ontario, the Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA) requires that all children attending schools be fully immunized or have a valid exemption on file for the following:

  • Tetanus
  • Diphtheria
  • Polio
  • Measles
  • Mumps
  • Rubella (German measles)
  • Meningococcal disease (meningitis)
  • Pertussis (whooping cough)
  • Varicella (chickenpox) – for children born on or after January 1, 2010.
    • If your child has had chickenpox infection, a medical exemption form completed by your health care provider is required.

For details on when these immunizations are required, please review Ontario’s Publicly Funded Immunization Schedule (PDF, 1 page).

For more information about vaccines and immunization, click the links below:

Failure to provide proof of the above immunizations or a valid exemption can result in school suspension. Students in Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph who do not have valid immunizations will NOT be suspended in the 2021-2022 school year.

Why did I receive a notification from Public Health?

If you received a notification from Public Health regarding immunizations, it is because:

  1. Public Health does not have a complete immunization record for your child on file, or
  2. Your child requires immunization(s).

Click here for answers to Frequently Asked Questions about immunizations required for school attendance. If you still have questions about your child’s immunizations, please call Vaccine Records at 1-800-265-7293 ext. 4396. Please note that the school immunization line is unable to answer questions about COVID-19 vaccine immunizations. Please direct these questions to our call centre at extension 7006.

Report your child’s immunizations

Please note, COVID-19 vaccinations for your child(ren) do NOT need to be reported to Public Health.

You can report your child’s immunizations in one of the following ways:

Online: The Immunization Connect Ontario (ICON) tool available at allows you to report and view your child’s immunization record.


Phone:1-800-265-7293 ext. 4396

Mail: Vaccine Records
160 Chancellors Way
Guelph, ON N1G 0E1

For those who need help translating their immunization records into English, please contact Immigrant Services.

It is a parent’s/guardian’s responsibility to report their child’s immunizations to Public Health. Schools are not required to collect immunization records or send them to Public Health. Doctors are also not required to report immunizations given in their office to Public Health.

Immunization exemptions for school-aged children

If your child cannot be immunized for medical reasons, you will need to:

The process for exemptions for religious or conscientious reasons is presently on hold as the Ministry is updating the parent education component. Please continue to check our website for updates.  

How to get your immunizations


  • Bring an up-to-date copy of your child’s immunization record to your appointment. If you do not have a yellow card, you can print a copy of your record by visiting
  • After your appointment, please report all immunizations online at