About the program
The Wee Talk Speech and Language Program is the free preschool speech and language service system in Wellington County, Dufferin County and the City of Guelph. Wee Talk offers assessment, support and therapy to children from birth to school entry with speech and language difficulties.
Wee Talk is funded by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services and is delivered by Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health together with our Wee Talk partners.
Wee Talk is committed to equitable service for all children across the preschool speech and language system. We make sure each child has the same response time for their initial visit, and can access the same pathways to service, evaluation and therapy.
What we do
Wee Talk offers:
- Information about how babies and young children learn to communicate and talk
- Information for parents about how they can help children with communication, speech and language
- Assessments of all communication skills
- Home programming
- Parent and caregiver education and training
- Individual and group therapy
- Consultative services (in daycares)
- Transition to school support (JK/SK)
- Public education
Who we are
Wee Talk’s speech-language pathologists (SLPs) are licensed by the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario (CASLPO). Speech-language pathologists assess your child and provide parent education, group, or individual therapy, depending on your child’s needs.
Communicative Disorders Assistants
Wee Talk’s communicative disorders assistants (CDAs) provide therapy under the supervision of a speech-language pathologist. CDAs can deliver individual or group therapy, provide home programming and offer clinical support to SLPs during assessment and therapy.
Wee Talk Staff
The Wee Talk team also includes a manager, a program administrator and a program assistant. All of our partner sites have administrative staff.
Wee Talk is a partnership of agencies that provide speech and language services to families with preschool children in Wellington County, Dufferin County and the City of Guelph.
Wee Talk Partners:
- Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health (Lead agency)
- St. Joseph’s Health Centre (Guelph)
- Groves Memorial Community Hospital
- KidsAbility (Guelph)
- Wellington County Childcare Service
Many thanks to the Royal City Ambassadors for their generous support of Wee Talk. This is Meghan Austin, SLP accepting a cheque from Howard Simpson. The Barbershoppers International have a long history of supporting speech and language. Their motto is “We sing that they may speak”.