Wee Talk Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a doctor’s referral to have my child seen by Wee Talk?

A doctor’s referral is not required to make a referral to Wee Talk. Referrals to Wee Talk can be made by parents/caregivers. Other professionals, such as doctors or paediatricians can make referrals to Wee Talk with parental/caregiver consent.

Do we pay for an assessment or therapy?

Wee Talk services are free for families. Services are government-funded through the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services.

Where will my assessment take place?

Your initial assessment will take place at a Public Health location. When you book your initial assessment, you will be given location details. Public Health offers assessments at the following locations:

  • Guelph: 160 Chancellors Way, Guelph, ON
  • Orangeville: 180 Broadway Ave, Orangeville, ON
  • Fergus: 474 Wellington County Rd 18 #100, Fergus, ON N1M 2W3
  • Shelburne: Mel Lloyd Centre, 2nd floor (entrance C), Shelburne, ON

Children that are being supported through Inclusion Support Services (ISS) will be seen at their daycare setting.

What if I can’t make my scheduled assessment date/time?

If you are unable to attend your assessment date/time for any reason, please contact us at 1-800-265-7293 ext. 4676 as soon as possible to reschedule.

Do you offer evening and/or weekend assessment times?

Wee Talk assessments are offered during hours that the Public Health locations are open which is Monday to Friday 8:30AM-4:30PM.

My child is sick, do I still attend the assessment?

If your child is sick (e.g., fever, runny nose, vomiting, diarrhea, coughing) we ask that you do not attend the assessment. Please contact us as soon as possible to reschedule your assessment.

Do I still come to my appointment in bad weather?

If you are concerned about traveling to/from a Public Health location, please contact us as soon as possible to reschedule your appointment. Check for cancellations at www.wdgpublichealth.ca or follow us on Twitter @WDGPublicHealth.

I’ve been assessed by a speech-language pathologist and they recommended direct therapy at a partner site. Now what?

If your child has been assessed and direct therapy is recommended, the first step is to complete a parent and caregiver orientation. Once you have completed the orientation, your child will be referred to one of our partner agencies. When the partner agency is able to accommodate your child for therapy, they will contact you directly.

My child isn’t speaking yet. Are they too young to see a speech-language pathologist?

We provide assessment and therapy services to children between birth and school entry. Even before your baby starts speaking, they communicate with us in a variety of ways. If you’re concerned about your child’s communication skills at all, please contact us for help.

Will speaking more than one language confuse my child?

Speaking more than one language does not negatively impact a child’s ability to acquire speech and language skills.