Follow these step-by-step instructions to sterilize equipment.
What you need for preparing formula
The following items need to be sterilized for formula preparation:
- Large pot with lid
- Bottle brush and nipple brush
- Can opener
- Glass measuring cup
If using glass bottles
- Glass bottles (if possible)
If using a disposable system
- Bottle holders
- Roll of disposable liners
Throw out liners after one use. Throw out nipples when they become soft and sticky.
*Note: If using disposable bottles, sterilize only nipples, rims and caps.
- Wash hands and counter with soap and water.
- Wash all items in warm soapy water.
- Make sure holes in nipples are not clogged.
- Rinse well.
- Put clean items in a pot. Fill pot with water.
- Boil for 2 minutes. Keep pot covered until items are needed.
- Remove items with tongs. Set on a clean paper towel.
Adapted with permission from Toronto Public Health.