These steps are for healthy term infants. Be sure to check Health Canada’s Recalls and Alerts for formula recalls.
Steps to prepare ready-to-feed infant formula
- Wash hands and counter with soap and water.
- Have sterilized items ready on a clean paper towel (see How to Sterilize Equipment).
- Read label.
- Wash top of can with warm water.
- Shake can. Open with sterile can opener.
- Pour amount of infant formula for one feeding into each bottle (use glass if possible). DO NOT ADD WATER.
- Pick up nipples, rims and caps with sterile tongs and put on bottles. Then tighten with your hands.
- Put bottles in refrigerator. Use within 24 hours.
- Tightly cover open can and put in refrigerator. Use within 48 hours.
These steps adapted with permission from Toronto Public Health.