These steps are for healthy term infants. Be sure to check Health Canada’s Recalls and Alerts for formula recalls.
Steps to prepare liquid concentrate infant formula
- Wash hands and counter with soap and water.
- Run cold water for at least 2 minutes (use approved filter if you have lead pipes). Boil water for 2 minutes. Let it cool and use within 30 minutes.
- Have sterilized equipment ready on a clean paper towel (see How to Sterilize Equipment).
- Read the label. It will tell you how much formula and water to use. Wash top of can with warm water.
- Shake can. Open with sterile can opener.
- Pour boiled water into glass measuring cup.
- Add an equal amount of liquid concentrate formula to the boiled water. Be sure to measure carefully. Stir well with sterile fork.
- Pour amount of infant formula for one feeding into each bottle (use glass if possible).
- Pick up nipples, rims and caps with sterile tongs and put on bottles. Then tighten with your hands.
- Shake bottle well. Cool bottle under cold running water.
- Put bottles in refrigerator. Use within 24 hours.
- Tightly cover open can and put in refrigerator. Use within 48 hours.
These steps adapted with permission from Toronto Public Health.