COVID-19 School and Childcare Screening Tool
Who should complete the daily screening tools? The screening tools should be completed daily by any school-based staff or visitors and all students who are attending school in-person (or by the parent/guardian for each child).
Who does the screening criteria apply to? The screening tools are designed to determine whether staff and students should attend school each day. Individuals who do not work at or attend the school setting are encouraged to follow their individual workplace screening guidelines for COVID-19. Screening staff and students for COVID-19 symptoms and potential exposures every day before attending school is vital to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. All students/parents/guardians and staff should follow the directions provided in the screening tool including when to stay home from school and when it is safe to return to school.
Process Maps, Symptoms, Cases and Return to School
- Protocol/Flow Chart for Student or Staff with COVID-19 Symptoms - Outlines a process of what to expect if a student or staff has COVID-19 symptoms.
- Return to School/Child Care Protocol for Children/Staff with COVID-19 Symptoms - Provides guidance on the requirements for returning to school/child care for students/staff with symptoms of COVID-19 and their household members.
- Protocol/Flow Chart for Positive COVID-19 Cases in School - Outlines a process of what to expect if there is a positive COVID-19 case affiliated with a school (i.e. staff or student).
- English: School and Bus Case Information Letter - Letter for distribution to entire school/school bus population (and/or to be put on school website) whenever there’s a school case.
- High Risk Contact Letter for Students - Letter sent to any high-risk contact students identified from the school/bus cohorts.
- High Risk Contact Letter for Staff - Letter to be sent to any high-risk contact staff identified from the school/bus cohorts.
- High Risk Contact and Household Decision Tree - Flow chart resource outlining guidance for individuals (and their household members) who have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
- French: School and Bus Case Information (letter to parents)
- High Risk Contact Letter for Students (French) - Letter sent to any high-risk contact students identified from the school/bus cohorts.
- High Risk Contact Letter for Staff (French) - Letter to be sent to any high-risk contact staff identified from the school/bus cohorts.
- High Risk Contact and Household Decision Tree (French) - Flow chart resource outlining guidance for individuals (and their household members) who have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
- Guidance for High-Risk Contacts of a Confirmed Positive COVID-19 Case - Guidance table for individuals (and their household members) who have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
- COVID-19: Health, safety and operational guidance for schools (2021-2022) - August 2021
- Ministry of Education: Before and After School Programs - Kindergarten – Grade 6 - August 2021
- Ministry of Health COVID-19 Guidance: School Outbreak Management
- Public Health Ontario School and COVID-19 Resources
- Preventing COVID-19: Presentations for Schools and Childcare Settings
- Childhood Illnesses Reference Guide for Schools and Child Care Centres
- COVID-19 Guidance for Schools - Additional tips for physical distancing
- COVID-19 Guidance for Schools - Additional tips for hand hygiene
- WDGPH PD Day Guidance - Guidance for day programs held on Professional Development (PD) Days and Board-Designated Holidays for school-aged children
- Mental Health Support for School Staff
- Signs and Posters
General Cleaning and Disinfection
- Public Health Ontario - Cleaning and disinfection for public settings
- Public Health Agency of Canada - Cleaning and disinfecting public spaces during COVID-19
- Health Canada - Hard surface disinfectants and hand sanitizers
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Putting on and taking off PPE
- How to put on PPE Poster
- How to Remove PPE Poster
- PPE Recommendations in Schools (WDGPH Guidance)
- Supporting students and kids
- Mental Health, Substance Use and Stigma
- Supporting Student Mental Health During COVID-19
- Mental Health and COVID-19 for Caregivers
- Kids Health First
- SickKids COVID-19 Vaccine Consult Service – The Hospital for SickKids is offering a confidential telephone service to help parents, caregivers and youth make informed decisions about the COVID-19 vaccination. Services available in multiple languages.
- How-to links and videos (mask, hand-washing, etc.)
- Hand-washing Heroes Video (for younger children)
- Hand Hygiene How-To (for older children)
- Cover your coughs and sneezes (for younger children)
- Respiratory Etiquette (for older children)
- This video from the World Health Organization has tips on using masks correctly.
- FRENCH: How to Safely Use Reusable Cloth Masks and Face Coverings (Video)
- FRENCH: How to Use a Disposable Mask or Face Covering (Video)
- Non-medical Masks and Face Coverings
- Other measures to stay safe