Immunization for School Attendance

Vaccines play an important role in protecting students against serious diseases in addition to those around them including school staff.

The Immunizations of School Pupils Act (ISPA) requires every public health unit to have either an up-to-date vaccination record or a legal exemption form on file for each child attending school in Ontario. Parents of children attending primary or secondary school provide their local medical officer of health with proof of their child’s immunization against designated diseases. It is Public Health’s responsibility to review vaccination coverage and contact parents of students for whom they do not have complete vaccination records on file.

As a teacher or principal, your participation in distributing and collecting information from students ensures more students are vaccinated and that your school and community are better protected against disease.

For new students attending school the following form needs to be filled out and provided to the school. For those who need help translating their records please contact Immigration services for the translation of immunization records into English.

Exemptions from the requirements are allowed for medical reasons (e.g., prior immunity or medical contraindication) or based on an affidavit of conscience or religious belief.

Children for whom we do not have required immunization records or a valid exemption on file may be temporarily suspended from school until the required records are provided.