Category: Health and Safety
Subject: Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS)
Policy Number: CA.56.01.117
Effective Date: March 9, 2013
Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health (WDGPH) is committed to providing a safe working environment for their employees. This policy is in accordance with Ont. Reg. 860 – Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS). WDGPH will meet or exceed the standards of the WHMIS Regulation 860 and will control hazardous products to protect the employees and protect the environment.
The MSDS for each product will be placed in the MSDS booklets which are located at the Reception area of each WDGPH office.
This policy applies to all WDGPH employees, including volunteers, students and contractual.
- Attempt to optimally manage hazardous materials through elimination or substitution.
Joint Health and Safety Committee will:
- Document all WHMIS regulated products on the Inventory List found on the front page of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) booklet;
- Assess the WHMIS program on an annual basis;
- Audit MSDS booklets annually; and
- Update MSDS booklets every three years or as needed.
- Receive general WHMIS education. Site-specific WHMIS training will be completed by the direct Manager, according to the needs of the employee.
REFERENCES AND RELATED FORMS, POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Corresponding Procedure: N/A
Ont. Reg. 860 – Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)