Category: Board of Health
Subject: Stewardship of Management Operations – Information Management
Procedure Number: CA.45.02.407
Effective Date: October 5, 2016
This procedure will address the following goals/objectives in the Ontario Public Health Organizational Standards1 (OPHOS):
- Information Management.
The Medical Officer of Health/CEO shall establish, maintain and implement policies and procedures related to data collection and records management, which ensure:
- Compliance with all applicable legislation, regulations and policies, including the Health Protection and Promotion Act, Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act2, and Personal Health Information Protection Act3 to the management of all personal information and personal health information;
- Data quality in the creation and collection of data;
- Confidentiality in how records are used and accessed;
- Use of current and appropriate security features, including strong encryption of personal health information;
- A records maintenance process that includes remediation of errors;
- Appropriate records retention process that varies by type of record;
- Secure disposal of records; and
- That the purposes and appropriate uses of data being created are communicated to and respected by staff, students, volunteers and management who collect, enter, store, analyze, use and/or destroy the data.
A report will be provided to the Board of Health each year. The report will provide an overview of Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health’s programs and standards to achieve the requirements as outlined in the OPHOS.
REFERENCES AND RELATED FORMS, POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Corresponding Policy: CA.45.01.400 Stewardship of Management Operations
1 Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care and Ministry of Health Promotion and Sport. (February 2011). Ontario Public Health Organizational Standards (Revised Catalogue No. 015523 ISBN 978-1-4435-5469-5 (PDF)). Ontario. Queen’s Printer for Ontario 2011.
2 Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. M.56. Available from: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90m56_e….
3 Personal Health Information Protection Act, S.O. 2004, c. 3, Sch. A. Available from: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_04p03_e….
CONTACT FOR INQUIRIES
Director, Administrative Services
Chair of the Board of Health