Category: Board of Health
Subject: Stewardship of Management Operations – Human Resources Strategy
Procedure Number: CA.45.02.406
Effective Date: October 5, 2016
This procedure will address the following goals/objectives in the Ontario Public Health Organizational Standards1 (OPHOS):
- Human Resources Strategy 1.
Senior Management shall ensure the establishment of a human resources strategy, based on a workforce assessment which considers the competencies, composition and size of the workforce, as well as community composition, and includes initiatives for the recruitment, retention, professional development and leadership development of the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health workforce.
Senior Management shall establish and implement written human resource policies and procedures which are made available to staff, students, and volunteers.
A report will be provided to the Board of Health (BOH) each year. The report will provide an overview of the work completed to meet the requirements of the OPHOS, and confirmation that policies and procedures shall be maintained concerning but not limited to:
- The availability of position descriptions for staff;
- A process to ensure that staff meet qualifications for their positions, job classifications and licensure (as required);
- Confidential personnel files shall be maintained for each staff member;
- Occupational health and safety policies;
- Recruitment and retention strategies, including workplace health practices;
- A code of conduct;
- Compensation policy;
- Labour relation policies;
- Staff performance evaluation processes; and
- Succession planning.
REFERENCES AND RELATED FORMS, POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Corresponding Policy: CA.45.01.400 Stewardship of Management Operations
1 Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care and Ministry of Health Promotion and Sport. (February 2011). Ontario Public Health Organizational Standards (Revised Catalogue No. 015523 ISBN 978-1-4435-5469-5 (PDF)). Ontario. Queen’s Printer for Ontario 2011.
CONTACT FOR INQUIRIES
Director, Administrative Services
Chair of the Board of Health