Category: School Health
Subject: School Immunization Clinics
Policy Number: CA.70.01.301
Effective Date: December 9, 2011
The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care publicly funds immunization programs for school aged children. Immunization teams administer the vaccine in the school-setting. Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health (WDGPH) is committed to ensure immunization teams have adequate and safe space to work in on school property. Nurses may refuse to administer the vaccine to students in the event the space is not safe to the nurses or students.
The nurses will provide a school-based clinic provided the following minimum requirements are met:
- Adequate room space – classroom size would be preferred;
- Privacy for students who are being vaccinated – a hallway is not suitable;
- Adequate lighting;
- Work surface – dimensions should be 2 ft x 2 ft for each nurse;
- An available phone to call 911 for emergency situations;
- One large garbage can;
- Adult chairs and tables – child-size chairs and tables are not suitable; and
- An area within the clinic area designated for the students to wait 15 minutes after immunization.
This policy applies to all nurses and administrative support assigned to Clinical Services, School Health and Control of Infectious Disease teams and student nurses working in these programs.
REFERENCES AND RELATED FORMS, POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Corresponding Procedure: N/A