Category: Health and Safety
Subject: Scented Products in the Workplace
Policy Number: CA.56.01.103
Effective Date: May 16, 2012
Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health (WDGPH) is an agency which is committed to ensuring the health and safety of employees, clients, and visitors regarding indoor air quality. Fragrances and scents can cause a plethora of health concerns in susceptible individuals including but not limited to respiratory ailments, headaches, and nausea. To optimize wellness, WDGPH must strive to eliminate or reduce the use of scented products.
This policy applies to all WDGPH employees including students, volunteers and contract.
Sr. Management will:
- Ensure outside custodial services use scent-free environmentally friendly products.
- Ensure employees understand the expectations arising from this policy;
- Respond to employees concern about scents and fragrances; and
- Seek resolution cooperatively around employee concerns.
- Be sensitive to the concerns and needs of fellow employees;
- Eliminate the use of scented products; and
- Make his/her own Manager aware of an issue concerning a scented product in order for an investigation of the situation to occur.
Scents – include the following: hair products; colognes, perfumes, and aftershaves; lotions, creams, and soaps; cosmetics; industrial and household cleaning products; air fresheners, deodorizers, candles, and potpourri.
REFERENCES AND RELATED FORMS, POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Corresponding Procedure: N/A