Category: Information Technology
Subject: Internet Access
Policy Number: CA.54.01.107
Effective Date: March 20, 2012
- All Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health (WDGPH) employees will be given Internet access for educational, communication and business purposes. This includes both wired and wireless network connections.
- Users employing devices that are enabled for wireless connection to the company network, including personal computers, laptops, personal digital assistants (PDAs), as well as Blackberry’s and cell phones that rely on wireless network connectivity, must observe all rules for preventing unauthorized access to the network, prevent unauthorized use of the devices themselves, and the mandatory use of passwords and authentication appliances.
The purpose of this Policy is to ensure connection to the Internet via either wired or wireless networks does not unduly increase the threat of loss or damage to WDGPH’s Information Technology (IT) resources and data.
This policy applies to IT Technical Support and all WDGPH employees using wireless devices enabled for network connectivity
IT Technical Support will:
- Maintain the organizations wide area network;
- Configure wireless equipment to eliminate or minimize risks;
- Remain informed about the latest wireless network threats;
- Manage wireless risks as required, including suspending wireless service when security threats are discovered; and
- Enforce automatic password changes for the systems which have this capability.
All Employees (users of equipment configured for wireless connectivity) will:
- Follow the direction of IT Technical Support to minimize security risks when their wireless devices are enabled for network connectivity;
- Change his or her password at first use and every three months thereafter (unless explicitly stated otherwise) with the data classification of the data to which he or she has access;
- Follow password creation guidelines for keeping his or her password confidential; and
- Notify the IT Department of any suspected password disclosure and suspected user identifier misuse.
REFERENCES AND RELATED FORMS, POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Corresponding Procedure: N/A