Category: Information Technology
Subject: Computer and Internet Use
Division: Finance and Corporate Operations
Policy Number: CA.54.01.105
Effective Date: January 4, 2016
- The main use of Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health (WDGPH) computers and their connectivity to the Internet is to support staff through research and communication opportunities and to enhance communication for administrative purposes.
- All information that is received, transmitted, and stored electronically on any WDGPH system is the property of WDGPH and may be viewed, read, edited, shared, deleted, etc. by those authorized by the Director, Finance and Corporate Operations.
- Personal use of computer systems should be limited to the time frames indicated (lunch, breaks, and pre and post work).
- Downloading and installation of software is limited to IT staff to ensure it won’t compromise network security.
The purpose of this policy is to ensure all employees are aware of the proper use of their computer and Internet access.
This policy applies to all WDGPH employees with access to a WDGPH computer and the Internet.
Management is responsible for enforcement of this policy including:
- Judgement of what content is considered profane, obscene, abusive, sexually explicit, defamatory or racist;
- Determining repercussions of violating this policy which could include suspensions, fines, etc.; and
- The appropriate Manager/Supervisor is responsible for implementing and monitoring this policy.
Employees are responsible for adhering to the following guidelines:
- Being responsible for their own actions;
- Accepting responsibility for the security and confidentiality of their user identification and passwords;
- Using network or Internet access for financial gain, commercial or any other unauthorized or illegal activity;
- Not transmitting or downloading information or software without approval and in accordance with the policy CA.54.01.102 Software Acquisition and Installation;
- Not post, publish, forward, print, transmit, share or display inappropriate material that includes but is not limited to material that is profane, obscene, abusive, sexually explicit, defamatory or racist;
- Authorized users must abide by vendor license agreements. Use of applications and/or data is subject to the vendor’s license agreement and may not be reproduced in any form without permission from the vendor; and
- Authorized users may not offer goods or services over the internet or on WDGPH’s network for personal use, nor may they send “for sale” or “wanted to buy” messages on the Internet or by email.
REFERENCES AND RELATED FORMS, POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Corresponding Procedure: N/A
CONTACT FOR INQUIRIES
Manager, Operations and IT
Director, Finance and Corporate Operations