Category: Board of Health
Subject: Board of Health Remuneration
Division: Finance and Corporate Operations
Policy Number: CA.45.01.504
Effective Date: October 5, 2016
This policy authorizes remuneration and payment of expenses for Board of Health (BOH) members of Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health (WDGPH) as per BOH By-Law No. 1(4)(6)
This policy applies to all members of the BOH.
Board – the BOH for WDGPH
By-Laws – the By-Laws for the BOH for WDGPH
Board Chair – the person appointed as Chair of the BOH for WDGPH
Designate – the person acting on behalf of the Chair of the BOH
BOARD MEMBER RESPONSIBILITY
- To be familiar with and comply with this policy and all referenced WDGPH policies and procedures related to remuneration and payment of expenses;
- To complete and submit an expense report form to the Recording Secretary for each authorized event and all eligible expenses; and
- To ensure that original receipts are provided for all expenses and submitted with the completed expense report form.
REMUNERATION AND EXPENSES
The BOH shall pay all BOH members on a daily basis and at the same rate, provided that any member who is also a member of the council of a municipality, and who is paid annual remuneration by the municipality, shall not also be remunerated by the BOH. The rate of remuneration will be reviewed by the BOH on an annual basis.
Remuneration shall be paid for attendance at:
- Meetings of the BOH and its committees;
- Other committees to which the BOH member is appointed by request of, or with approval of, the BOH;
- Meetings, conferences and education events where the BOH member’s attendance has been authorized by the BOH; and
- Meetings, events or participation in electronic meetings (video or telephone) by the BOH Chair or designate, in their role as Chair or designate.
NOTE: Remuneration will not be paid for travel time to attend any meetings, conferences or educational events.
Remuneration for all authorized events will be paid to BOH members at the approved rates as contained in Schedule A.
The BOH shall pay the reasonable and actual expenses of each member of the BOH, provided that any member who is also a member of the council of a municipality, and who has their reasonable and actual expenses paid for by the municipality, shall not also have their expenses paid by the BOH.
- Expenses for meetings, conferences and education events that are in compliance with Board of Health policies and where the BOH member’s attendance has been authorized by the BOH, shall be paid as outlined in WDGPH policy CA.51.01.118 Travel and Kilometrage Expense Claims.
- Mileage shall be paid for attending BOH meetings, committee meetings, conferences and education events at the per kilometre rate as outlined in WDGPH policy CA.51.01.118 Travel and Kilometrage Expense Claims.
REFERENCES AND RELATED FORMS, POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Corresponding Procedure: N/A
Board By-Law 1(4)(6) – Rate of Remuneration
CA.51.01.118/CA.51.02.118 – Travel and Kilometrage Expense Claims
CA.30.01.201 – Travel and Kilometrage Expense Report
Schedule A – Approved Rates of Remuneration
CONTACT FOR INQUIRIES
Director, Information Systems
Chair of the Board of Health
Rate of Remuneration:
The rate of remuneration shall be:
- Half day (up to 3½ hours) $ 85.00
- Full day (over 3½ hours) $150.00
BOH members entitled to a conference per diem will be granted the full day rate of $150 for a conference exceeding 3½ hours.