We inspect all personal services settings at least once per year in accordance with the Infection Prevention and Control Best Practices for Personal Services Settings (2009) Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (PDF, 74 pages) protocol. We check to make sure you’re taking the right steps to control the spread of infections.
Personal services settings include, but are not limited to:
- Tattoo and body piercing studios
- Esthetic salons (e.g., spas offering manicures, pedicures, facials, waxing)
- Hair salons and barbershops
- Places that do electrolysis
- Tanning salons
Public Health also looks into complaints from the public, provides educational workshops for personal service workers, and provides resources on safe tattooing, piercing, and esthetic services.
Check your inspection results online
Visit CheckBeforeYouChoose.ca to search for your inspection reports.
Opening a new personal services setting?
- Before opening a new business, call us at 1-800-265-7293 ext. 4752 to arrange an inspection
If you plan to open a business within the City of Guelph, call the City of Guelph’s licensing co-ordinator at 519-822-1260 ext. 2551 to:
- Submit a business license application
- Arrange for other inspections
Ontario is protecting young people from skin cancer. Legislation that came into effect on May 1, 2014 prohibits youth under the age of 18 from using tanning beds. It also includes new rules about:
- Marketing to youth
- Signage requirements
- Proof of age identification
- Tanning without an attendant
If you operate a tanning bed, you must notify Public Health. We will enforce the new rules and will work with you to help you comply.
More information: Skin Cancer Prevention Act (Tanning Beds)