Oral health is an important part of your child’s overall health.
If you can’t afford to pay for dental care for your children, we have programs to help. These include:
- Healthy Smiles Ontario (HSO)
- Children in Need of Treatment (CINOT) program
- Preventive Dental Clinic
- Oral screening
To find out if you can use these services, call the Dental Line at 1-800-265-7293 ext. 2661. We’ll help you do the paperwork to apply.
If you’re a mom-to-be
Keeping your gums and teeth healthy has many benefits for you and your baby.
Learn how to maintain good oral health during pregnancy:
- Healthy Pregnancy: Oral Health – Public Health Agency of Canada
- Oral Health During Pregnancy – Ministry of Health Promotion and Sport
Healthy Smiles Ontario (HSO) is a free program for routine dental care for children who don’t have any form of dental coverage. If you qualify, your child will get free regular services at any dental provider/dentist.
Your child can use HSO if:
- He or she is 17 or under
- He or she is a resident of Ontario
- Your Family Net Income (after tax and deductions) is within the limit set out under HSO. Call the Dental Intake line for more information at 1-800-265-7293 ext 2661
- You don’t have any form of dental coverage (including Ontario Works)
Eligible children can receive:
- Visits to the dentist
- Other treatments and services
*Orthodontics (e.g., braces) and cosmetic dentistry (e.g., teeth whitening) are not covered by HSO.
To learn more about HSO, call our Dental Line at 1-800-265-7293 ext. 2661.
CINOT provides urgent dental care for:
- Tooth or mouth pain
- Large cavities
- Bleeding gums
- Mouth injury
Your child can use the CINOT program if:
- He or she is 17 or under and has an urgent dental need
- You don’t have dental coverage and can’t afford dental care*
Your child can get:
- Teeth removal
- Some root canal treatments
*Braces and regular check-ups are not covered.
To learn more about CINOT, call our Dental Line at 1-800-265-7293 ext. 2661.
Public Health Preventive Dental Clinics help your child prevent cavities and keep teeth and gums healthy.
- Clean teeth
- Apply fluoride
- Coat teeth with sealants
- Show your child how to brush and floss
- Tell you about foods that are healthy for teeth
- Check if your child is eligible for the CINOT or HSO program
Your child can use the Preventive Dental Clinic if:
- He or she is 17 or under
- You don’t have dental coverage and can’t afford dental care
To learn more about Preventive Dental Clinic, call our Dental Line at 1-800-265-7293 ext. 2661.
Your child can get free oral health screenings if:
- He or she is aged 17 or under
- You don’t have dental insurance (including Ontario Works)
- You can’t afford to pay for dental treatment
You can make an appointment for a screening (check-up) at one of our office locations.
At your child’s appointment, the dental hygienist will tell you if your child qualifies for any other free dental programs. You’ll also get information about brushing, healthy eating, and ways to keep your mouth healthy.
To book a Public Health screening call 1-800-265-7293 ext. 2661.
Dental hygienists visit elementary schools to do a quick visual check of students’ teeth. The screenings are not a substitute for a visit to the dentist.
If your child is eligible for the CINOT program because of urgent dental needs, we’ll connect you with this service.